2010년 5월 14일 금요일

Tony-A Whole New Mind (pg. 68-86)

1. What surprised you?

-I really like this quote said by John Heskett: "Design, stripped to its essence, can be defind as the human nature to shape and make our environment in ways without precedent in nature, to serve our needs and give meaning to our lives." (p. 69)
-I was surprised to find out that CHAD has attendence of 95% comapre to other schools in Phillidelphia (usually 65 %)
-Even though designs were always around us, I never realized that it is the design that changes instead of the inside of products.
-No art schools in 1980's in Asia but there are number of them nowadays
-These days, car comapanies "don't make 'automobiles," (p. 79) they make "moivng works of that express the driver's love of quality." (p. 79)
-Designs can also deliver environmental benefits (pg. 82)

2. What did you know already?

-I alredy knew that as we grow up, we tend not to raise our hands (pg. 69)
-That desin is a classic whole-minded aptitude
-Frank Nuovo is one of thw world's best-known industrial designers

3. New Vocabularies

-loincloth: n. a piece of cloth worn around the loins or hips, esp. in tropical regions as the only item of clothing
-interdisciplinary: adj. combining or involving two or more academic disciplines or fields of study
-brouhaha: n. excited public interest, discussion, or the like, as the clamor attending some sensational event
-enclave: n. a country, or esp., an outlying portion of a country, entirely or mostly surrounded by the territory of another country
-recalcitrant: adj. resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory

4. What changes will you make regarding to the reading?

It seems like beautiful designs have effect on almost everything. Not only on business but also on people's minds. The book listed few examples how desgins effect the way we live. For example, "desgins can do more than supply our kitchens with cooking implements that stir both our sauces and our souls" (pg. 81). Good design can CHANGE the world. And there are more examples listed after that. My point is, when I do business, I should be considering on design too.

5. What questions has this left you with?

-Why did patients who were in better-designed hospitals recover faster than patients in not appealing hospitals?
-Does most of graduates from CHAD success as designers?
-Does better designs really help people to feel better?

6. What connections have you made to real life?

I have to agree with the fact that younger students have more confidence thatn older students (such as raising hands) because the younger students are still young and does not know much about the real world. Not only that, I started to realize that our kitchen does have lots of beautifuly-designed appliances and kitchen. For example, my mother has a collection of tea cups that are flower shaped. Also, the kitchen is designed with brown, black and white and the three colors blend very well.

7. Additinal comments

8. Word of the day
innovation

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기